With the success of last year’s inaugural camp, NAV CANADA is announcing the second edition of the Explore Aviation Summer Camp for teens. Last summer, 30 students attended the first edition of the camp and it was an experience they described as “awesome” and “one of the best weeks of my life”.
“For me the interesting part is that you get to see the layers of aviation. We would say ‘there’s the pilot, there’s the person in the tower’ but there’s so many people in between and there’s so many career opportunities. I feel that I can go anywhere,” explained camper Monica Muresan who attended the camp last year.
This summer, 24 young women and 24 young men entering Grade 10 high school (or secondary 4 in Quebec) from across Canada will gather in Cornwall, Ontario. Their mission: one week of learning, fun and friendship with a focus on aviation. This all-expenses-paid camp uses hands-on learning to give you the chance to explore exciting careers that will empower you to soar to success after graduation!
Who can apply: Teens going into Grade 10 or secondary 4 in September 2019
Where: NAV CENTRE, Cornwall, ON, with day trips to Montreal and Ottawa
Young women: July 14-19, 2019
Young men: August 11-16, 2019
Cost: No cost to you! It’s paid for by a NAV CANADA bursary, which includes flight, room and board for the week
Why: To inspire you to explore a career in aviation
INSPIRING YOU TO SOAR TO YOUR FULL POTENTIALRun by NAV CANADA, Explore Aviation Summer Camp points the spotlight on careers in aviation, where STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education is the key to success for tomorrow’s workforce.
You’ll have unique and exciting opportunities, such as…
- Learning how Canada’s aviation system works and who makes it work
- Engaging in practice sessions controlling and advising aircraft in industry-leading simulators
- Trying out the tools and technology to keep aircraft flying and safe
- Touring NAV CANADA’s Flight Inspection Aircraft
- Interacting with guest speakers: Air Traffic Services; Technical Operations; Engineering; Leaders
- Taking day trips to Ottawa and Montreal: NAV CANADA tower and area control centre tours; city tours
To learn more about NAV CANADA careers, visit the Careers section of our website.
HOW TO APPLYParticipants will be chosen from across Canada by a NAV CANADA committee made up of aviation professionals.
Please note, your application must include:
- A completed application form
- An essay explaining why you want to attend Explore Aviation Summer Camp (350 to 500 words)
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or community leader